Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Sunday, September 30, 2007

Green Fried

Fried Green Tomatoes are so simple to prepare and they are truly delicious. Here's all you need to do....

1) Slice the tomatoes about 1/2 inch thick. They need to be VERY green and firm.


2) Dredge them in a combination of flour and corn meal, well seasoned with pepper and seasoned salt.

3) Fry them for approximately 2 to 3 minutes in very hot peanut oil.

4) Drain on paper toweling.

5) Serve hot and enjoy.

Our Fried Green Feast Menu:
Biscuits
Ham Steaks w Mango/Port Wine Reduction Chutney
Fried Egg
Fried Green Tomatoes
Fresh Fig Preserves


Past that my only advice post-feast is to stay away from offering anybody an after dinner mint.

A week that begins with fried green tomatoes is off to a good start. Hope you enjoy yours as I intend to enjoy mine. Bye for now!

Addendum - I put out a small ripe tomato on the fence this morning for the squirrel. Three hours later it sits untouched. Potentially it smells too much like humans - it had been washed and sitting inside for a couple of days at least. Close second theory, my squirrel may have some uncanny knowledge of epic Latin poetry. Finally, this could mark the presence of yet another picky eater in my midst. A squirrel version of "must pick it myself" snobbery. I'm pretty sure they are only eating acorns still hanging on the oaks. Research continues. Report(s) to follow....

No comments: