Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Friday, September 14, 2007

Do Overs



In some parts of your life, you get a chance to start over. That is this blog, a re-do of a false start from a few days prior, and a rethinking of blogging (for me anyway) in general.

I plan on featuring my amateur adventures in cooking and eating. I want to tell you about recipes attempted, altered, my culinary successes and failures. I want to share experiences in restaurants, shops, markets and festivals. I'll feature Fun Food Facts to Know and Tell, and I'll chronicle experiences in our garden.

As to the title? "Agrodolce" is an Italian word for a combination of sweet and sour, generally applied to a type of sauce. The thinking goes, in these sauces, the one flavor complements the other in combination, and the two together are always better than either standing alone.

Agrodolce applies to life as well. The sweet moments are always balanced by, and in some sense defined against, the sour moments. Both taken together are better than any attempt to dwell upon either in exclusion of the other.

I believe any meal shared is twice as delicious. I hope you'll visit regularly and allow me to share with you my Agrodolce musings from Austin.

No comments: