Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Saturday, May 26, 2012

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention?

I have been spending nearly all my time recently out working in the beds rather than blogging about them.   I say that not by way of apology, I'll never say "sorry" for working to improve my own surroundings.

Today however I was shuttling a couple of Netflix envelopes back out to the mailbox and as I was walking past the reworked church pew currently serving as our front porch bench, I spotted this guy hard at work:
Asterocampa celtis, aka the Hackberry Emperor
No, this photo IS different - see how the probiscis (galea) is all unfurled and sucking something out of/off the wood?
After I finished patting myself on the back for being able to correctly identify this industriously distracted butterfly (even a blind pig finds an acorn now and again) I checked in on the feeding habits of same.

There it was again:  The adults do not visit flowers, but feed on rotting fruit, tree sap, dung, and animal carcasses.


I just can't get over how many butterflies are apparently out doing the insect version of what buzzards do.

I had no idea.  Did you?

This has me thinking that butterflies are much bigger badasses than I ever guessed.  Respect!
 

No comments: