Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Friday, October 2, 2009

Some of the time....

I kind of scare myself.

Exhibit A: Yesterday I made stock. Nothing remarkable about that, although by golly this batch was photogenic starting out. However, I promise you I did not stir or season or check the fluid levels in that pot one single time without feeling extraordinarily pleased with myself, and hearing my own voice sing-songing in my head "I'm making stoh-ohck!".Really. Smug. Over making stock. Yikes!

Exhibit B: Today I went ahead and bought Halloween Candy. We have a diminishing number of trick or treaters in our neighborhood, changing demographics, overall decline in kids who go door to door as opposed to attending parties, whatever. I still like to have something on hand but it was not until after I'd gotten home and was putting the candy in a safe (read:out of sight) place so it would actually still be around by the end of the month that I noticed what I'd done. Yup, that's right. I bought both Dum-Dums and Smartees. Sigh. I can't tell if I was being incredibly wry and witty on some unconscious level or if I ought to phone in a reservation for a padded room and get that over with.

No comments: