Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Sunday, October 7, 2007

Sprig has sprung

Most of the time I consider myself a veritable Mistress of the Universe when it comes to online searches. I suffer perhaps from a surfeit of overconfidence, based upon nothing more substantial than my ability to, say, find and print out the instructions for planting the Caesalpinia pulcherrima (Pride of Barbados) seeds I bought today.

Pride of Barbados is a gorgeous floral display masquerading as a low water use, neglect tolerant, deer resistant plant that flourishes locally in street medians. I personally have killed two of these otherwise sturdy specimens, leading me to speculate that overconfidence in my abilities extends past my internet search skills. But I digress.For dinner tonight I prepared a dish specially selected from recipes featured in the occasional newsletter thoughtfully provided me by Whole Foods Market.

The friendly folks at Whole Foods email a "foodie" type advertising circular posing as an informational exchange highlighting seasonally available ingredients and providing recipes featuring the same. I don't mind, in fact I subscribe to it and use their recipes regularly. I don't shop there often, but that is a topic for another post another day.

Today I was all about preparing their "Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs with Chanterelles", which is where and why I bumped up against my technology snafu.

The recipe calls for 4 sprigs of fresh thyme.

No worries - I just happen to have thyme growing my garden and I'll allow as how I chuckle with delight each and every time I get to use some from my yard as opposed to having to go out and buy some, dried or fresh.

As I stood in my back yard, scissors in hand, gazing with admiration at my healthy flourishing thyme plants, (take THAT you persnickety Pride of Barbados show offs), I realized.

I have no idea what constitutes a "sprig".

Back inside I scurried to my faithful computer. I searched for "sprig equivalent". Aaank! Nothing. "Sprig substitute". Nope. "Sprig". Did I mean "spring"? *sigh*

I ended up cutting a length that approximates what I recall seeing as the length of the fresh herbs I can buy at my grocer's - around 4 inches. Having never prepared the recipe prior to this, I hoped for the best.

Results? I think the recipe is delectable. My husband was not so impressed with the inclusion of lemon. He was, however, able to eat his serving without discernible distress. Apparently while not a new favorite of his, not all that off putting, either.

So, a good recipe for somebody, but not one that will see another visit from us. I'll spare you the recipe at this point, but if you are interested, just let me know and I'll send it to you separately.

Meanwhile, back to whatEVER constitutes a "sprig"? Still guessing on that count.

Earlier today I speculated to one of my pastors that given 5 minutes and internet access I could determine for him the origin of the statement he included in his sermon that the church is always/only "one generation away from extinction".

I'll admit here I wasn't able to find the source of that quote in seven times that interval. I found it used, tweaked and referenced hundreds of times, but nary a sourced or original citation.

So, two strikes to my credit I'll bid adieu to the internet for just now. An amazing tool, a wonderful way to share ideas and recipes, and yes, a superhighway of information. Not the answer to every question certainly, but surely an engaging way to be reminded that there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in my Google searches.All things in balance, my week is off to a mellow start. I've worshipped, spent time playing and talking with my entire family by turns, and prepared a meal that not only stretched my food horizons but gently reminded me of my technology limitations.

Not too shabby a start. Onward....

No comments: