Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Sunday, May 18, 2014

On writing

A very dear friend of mine recently remarked she had stopped by here and read every post I'd made since the first of the year.

I found myself feeling a bit bashful about that.  My friend is one of the smartest, funniest, most accomplished women I know, and at times blogging feels so...I don't know....ordinary?  At least my blog posts seem to me to be that way.  [By "that way" I suppose I mean whatever the opposite of smart, funny or accomplished might be.]

And yet, writing here is something I cannot help but do.  Whether I have readers or not, blogging in this space is something I miss when I'm away.

Which I have been a bit lately.  Away, I mean.  I've been taking advantage of the return of local air to breathable without sneeze-able status by cracking the whip on getting a few last major jobs done before the death star returns with a vengeance.  More on all that in future posts.

But for today?  This alluring shot of one of my current favorites in the garden (Lemon Bee Balm/Monarda citrodora) , plus a bit of wisdom from another smart, funny, accomplished woman, Anne Lamott:


"….publication is not all that it is cracked up to be. But writing is. Writing has so much to give, so much to teach, so many surprises. That thing you had to force yourself to do — the actual act of writing — turns out to be the best part. It’s like discovering that while you thought you needed the tea ceremony for the caffeine, what you really needed was the tea ceremony. The act of writing turns out to be its own reward."



10 comments:

Tina said...

I agree with your friend. I absolutely love your posts--I think yours is probably the best local blog. You're an excellent writer--always an interesting view of your subject and you focus on things others don't--you write to your own drummer. (Mixed metaphor--sorry 'bout that.) I don't actually read that many blogs--too much time on the computer;I'd rather be outside. But, please know that it's always a treat to read you. I love the Anne Lamott quote--so true.

TexasDeb said...

Tina: Awww. Thank you, but now I'm thinking this post reads as though I am begging for compliments. I was really (truly!) more wanting to make the point via the Lamott quote about how writing is (for me) its own reward.

Well, that, and then there is the rewards of the friends to be made here. And now I'm looking at you!

Tina said...

I didn't read the post as a plea for compliments and I understand the point about writing for yourself and for the pleasure and challenge of writing. I've also never garnered much of a blog following and when I picked it up again, I made the conscious decision that I would write for my pleasure and hopefully developing and improving all the related blogging skills along the way.

TexasDeb said...

Tina: As always - thank you. As driven as I am to write here (and I'd reached a similar conclusion about not worrying about followers) it is wonderful to realize we are not working in a vacuum.

Cat said...

Your blog is always a place of refreshing perspective and I truly enjoy your writing style. I learn from your writing; or I try to anyway. I'd never spent much time writing until starting my blog and then I realized I actually enjoy the rhythm and process. And Anne Lamott, who doesn't love her writing? She's so authentic.

TexasDeb said...

Cat: Anne Lamott is an ongoing inspiration. Her voice is so clear and no-nonsense.

I certainly appreciate the approach you have taken with your own blog, and I appreciate your visits here as well. Thank you for both!

Debra said...

I know you weren't fishing for compliments but this seems a nice time anyway to express appreciation. I love your writing and I check everyday to see if you have posted something. Garden writing has a long tradition but blogging is still kind of new. I like how you have made your space your own and that it has some soul. There are a lot of well known local blogs but I agree with Tina (who also has a fine blog) that yours is the best. Thank you for your authenticity. I read Bird by Bird many years ago and found it absolutely inspirational. As a result I don't consider myself an author or author wannabe but a simple writer: someone who just likes to play with words. When I read her book I realized that I didn't need permission to express myself. What a wonderful feeling. The same one I get when I come here and read your thoughtful and well written posts.

TexasDeb said...

Debra: Um, wow lady. I enjoy reading your blog for all sorts of reasons. I appreciate your writing, your passion, your fierce sense of justice and your sense of humor. Thanks for your very kind words!

Pam/Digging said...

You may be surprised by how many readers you have, and how much they enjoy your perspective and philosophical musings, TexasDeb. Yours is a unique, introspective voice in the blogging community that I really enjoy. I'm glad you're here!

TexasDeb said...

Pam: Aw now, y'all are making me blush. I was so in my head posting about the writing here, I in no way anticipated or realized how it could come across as fishing for affirmations. That said, it has been just that - very affirming - to have so many of you excellent bloggers here speaking to your enjoyment of what I try to do. Thank you sincerely. I appreciate your voice a great deal and it is always a pleasure to have you visit here.