Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Monday, March 31, 2014

Farewell to March

I grabbed a few shots out back this morning (apparently I will NOT stay inside though I pay an increasingly higher price for each foray out of doors this time of year).

Folks, we need rain.  Here in Central Texas the temperatures are warming up, and with the wind blowing, the soil (and everything growing in it) is drying out fairly rapidly. I'm optimistic April will bring us some of the gentle watering everything needs.  However, my optimism is based on hope rather than any recent real world experience.  So just in case, as a reminder of what it all looks like here at the end of March, before the Hot Dry Season begins in earnest:











6 comments:

Tina said...

I'd say things are looking pretty in your part of our world. I'm jealous of your aloe bloom stalks. (At least I think that's what they are.) I've never had success with those--I must be the only one. I did grow some at ZBG when I worked there. Love your chicken. And the bluejay. Stay indoors!!

TexasDeb said...

Tina: Ha! I try to stay in, really I do. You are right - those are aloe stalks. They appear mysteriously and occasionally - perhaps because the plants there have been undisturbed for years. I moved pups all around other spots in front and back but only the Old Mother blooms. When she wants to.

Cat said...

Pink primrose were a favorite of my moms. They make me smile :) Your spring garden looks happy. I too am optimistic but concerned. My garden is very dry. I have a couple recent shrub purchases I need to get in the ground before it really heats up!

TexasDeb said...

Cat: Aww - I'm glad you like my profusion of pinks! I certainly appreciate how drought tolerant they are. My bluebonnets are parched looking and already setting seed. Things are dry-dry-dry. I'm planning (reluctantly) on hauling out the hose later today. Maybe THAT will make it rain!

Debra said...

Oh. My. Gosh. These photos are gorgeous. That bluejay on the blue birdbath is spectacular. And the primeroses ... and well everything. Thank you for sharing these!

TexasDeb said...

Debra: Thank you for the compliment. I know how creative you are from reading your posts. I'm glad you enjoyed the glimpses of my spaces here.