Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11, 2001 - Hope


It has been nine years.  

I remember very clearly - my daughter was still in high school on 9/11/01.  She had left for school early that day and was in the newspaper room.  As usual they had the television on.

I was at home, sitting at my computer reading on the internet, oblivious.  

The telephone rang.  It was my daughter.

"Mom, something bad is happening," she said.  "Turn on your TV.".  Then she had to go.

I turned on the television and I don't even remember what channel we were on - it wouldn't have mattered by then -pretty much every channel had switched to live coverage.

And thus began one of those days when I spent almost all of my time standing, sitting, pacing, and staring in horror.  Most of it with the sound off - the images saying what needed to be said.

Nine years and the impact remains.  Physically.  Emotionally.  Spiritually.

The world is both different and is yet the same place. I am both a different person and yet the same.  

Life, death, pain, joy, hate, love.  They are and always have been part of this troubled world.  

Hope is part of our world, too.   I hold hope in my heart.  Hope for my children, and for yours.  Hope for our future, hope for our healing, hope we can keep from repeating past mistakes and learn to live together in peace.   

1 comment:

Bob said...

I, like you, can remember exactly where I was, what I was doing, and most importantly, what I was feeling as the story transpired. A sadness came over me, the like of which I had never felt before. When I think of it now, that sadness rises into my consciousness from where it exists, some place I've stashed it so I don't have this sadness all the time.