Welcome!

Welcome to austinagrodolce … My family and I garden with more intention and enthusiasm than allocated budget or overall design plan. It shows. Wildlife populations don't seem to notice our lack of cohesive design, they just like the native plants here. It seems by growing local we've thrown out a welcome mat. Occasionally, we're surprised at who (and what) shows up.



Monday, September 1, 2008

Three Day Weekend!

I am just nuts for a three day weekend.

When planning ahead for a weekend holiday, I try not to go overboard with the food, but it is hard. With all the grocers running specials and the encouragement to "get out there and grill something!" the pressure is on for some sort of special attention to be paid to at least one meal.The focus of this three day weekend, Labor Day, is all about folks being recognized for all the hard work they do most of the other Mondays of the year.

Unfortunately, the people who cook food for their families rarely get an entire day off. Moreover, on a day like today, for many of us, the pressure is on to do something extra, something "special", to celebrate.

I was determined to fight the tide and take it mostly easy today. I came up with an celebration of Americana that is my salute to this most stateside of holidays but instead of putting in hours of labor, I let the food take center stage. I snagged some of our favorite fried chicken from a local store, made a simple potato salad, boiled some sweet corn, and sliced up an heirloom tomato.Bang. Delicious dinner without a lot of fuss or muss.

Everything except for a couple of potato salad ingredients and the chicken was organic, local, or both. Better yet, tonight, when the temperatures are high and our appetites are low, I can resort to a sandwich or a light salad for supper, secure in the knowledge I did my part to observe Labor Day with a special meal.
Happy Labor Day, Y'all! I hope you enjoy it.

No comments: